Friday, April 09, 2004

In the part of this universe that we know there is great injustice, and often the good suffer, and often the wicked prosper, and one hardly knows which of those is the more annoying. - Bertrand Russell

Now since you've all read Nathan's post about his recent scholarship-receiving feats I'll suffice it to say that I'm really proud of him for his achievement. I always knew he was smart.....But now, onto the injustice!

My best friend Jenell was running for ASB at Reynolds and she lost. She was one of the best candidates up there. She knew her stuff, her speech was excellent and she was obviously experienced and qualified. She would've filled her position beautifully. But no. Now, I must admit, there were many excellent candidates aside from my friend. Sharon Ko, Becky Wheeler and Katie Farlow all were elected, and rightly so, but the two male candidates did not seem very fit for ASB. One of them actually rapped during his speech, and the other is apparently not very responsible. Jenell should've easily beaten at least one of these guys, but the whole things was a sham. If the election process weren't such a popularity contest and based more on the aptitude and responsibility of the student, Jenell would've easily beaten those two guys, and if it had been based on the pure kindness of and their enthusiasm, Jenell would've wiped the floor with those boys. Jenell is so passionate about what she does and cares about other people so greatly, it just seems such a shame that she wasn't elected.

So as a result of this heinous crime I spent most of the day griping about how stupid the whole thing was and how disgusting this whole popularity contest was. So many of those people had good ideas and great plans for our school, and it seems that people only voted based one who they knew, who was cutest or whatever. It's just inexcusable. But in any case, Jenell is being a really good sport about it and is planning to run for Junior Class council in the upcoming weeks so I'm proud of her for that. My best friend is the coolest...

No comments: