Thursday, December 04, 2003

Today marks the most interesting day of my high school career.

There I was, 7th period, sitting in Health class finishing some tedious book work. While most other people worked in pairs and groups of three, I had opted to work alone, knowing I could complete the assignment in much speedier fashion if I did so. I had been working for a while when a guy was standing next my desk, talking to someone on my right. Because Miss. Skyles (our teacher) was out of the room, he stood there for some time, not having to worry about the wrath of our twenty-three year-old taskmaster. I was quite annoyed by his presence because the space between the rows of desks are quite small and he was practically sitting on my desk, but after a while he went back to sit at his own desk. A short time later, the partner of the person this guy had been talking to said something I found quite strange. This girl asked her partner, "Are you a stoner?" When I heard this, I immediately looked up, trying to determine why she would ask such a thing. I honestly do not remember what this guy said to her, but she said something else about having to "light it" and something else I can't quite remember. Then the guy got up and went back to the guy who had been talking to him and dropped something on the desk. I immediately knew what it was, and you may have already guessed as well...

It was a joint. That's right people, pot, weed, marijuana. It's was rather shocking for someone, such as myself, who has led such a sheltered life. So anyway, after deep consideration (spanning over about 10 seconds) I decided to report this illegal activity to the teacher after class was over. I assume the first guy gave the pot to the second guy, but I can't be sure. All I know is, it's illegal either way.

After class ended, I approached her, told her which guy had had the pot, she told me she would report it right away, and now I wait. I have no idea what happens next, but, nonetheless, I wait.

I find this experience very disturbing. I don't know why though. I know this tuff goes on at school all the time, I have no reason to be surprised about it. I suppose I am just surprised at how openly the spot was passed about.

Needless to say, I will be avoiding this person like the plague from now on.

No comments: