Saturday, October 09, 2004

Sleep Deprivation and its Effects: An In-Depth Experiment in Fatigue

I've come to the conclusion that "tired" is just not a good enough word. While "exhausted" seems a bit excessive, "tired" just doesn't cut it. When you rather regularly feel as though you’ve been hit by a very large truck of some sort as I often do, the mere word "tired" really doesn't do the feeling justice. Now where did that thesaurus go....?

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Murphy’s Laws


You know, I'm generally very optimistic, but recently, that "law" has been proven time and again in my day-to-day life. Last week I was having a pretty good day, and then just as I was heading to my car to go home, I realized that sometime between 0 period that morning and the end of 6th period I has lost my keys. The next day we were able to have the keys replaced (for the low, low price of $88!) so everything turned out fine, but that wasn't the last of my trouble.

This week I was close to getting in a car wreck twice in two days. The first time it was kinda both our faults, and the second time it was pretty much all my fault. I was making a left turn at one of those”left turn yield to oncoming traffic" places, and I thought I could get through before the "oncoming traffic" was too close. Obviously I miscalculated and had to hit the gas pretty hard. That was really scary. But even that isn't my best example of the above law.

By far the most perfect example of the aforementioned law is in my most recent revelation: I am so not normal. It seems like just when I start feeling pretty good about myself and how my life is going, I come to some horrifying revelation. This time I realized something about my social life, it's almost non-existent. After listening to some of my friends talk about their various outings with people, I noticed that I don't think I have ever gone to someone's house just to "hang out". Upon further probing of my memory I realized that in all my time at Reynolds, I have rarely, if ever, associated with any of my friends outside school. Sure, every once in a while I see someone at the library or something, but I really don't socialize with anyone otherwise. Before this rather uncomfortable realization I was living in blissful ignorance, but alas, it didn't last. *sigh*

So, in an effort to dispel my current social conundrum, I ask for advice on how to "get out there". What do the kids like to do these days? Should I just start inviting groups of people to my house to watch movies and "chill" or what?

*ponders*

No comments: